Hints and Tips
The aim of the game is to win the UEFO EURO 92 trophy so here are some hints and tips to hopefully help you do just that.
Issue 10 of the UK magazine Sega Force had some hints for this game. These are listed below:
- Scoring method 1:
Always shoot up the pitch when taking centre. Run straight up the pitch, pressing button 1 to chip the ball over defenders. Carry on until inside the penalty area. Press 2 to shoot and curl the shot right or left. Nine times out of ten, the shot goes in the back of the net.
- Scoring method 2:
Alternatively, run diagonally into the penalty area, where the vertical and horizontal lines meet (i.e. the corner of the penalty area), and carry on until you see the lines of the goal area. Press button 2 to shoot. Curl in the direction you're running.
Don't place the crosshairs over your players, they only indicate where the ball bounces. Scoring's difficult. As a rough guide, try and get your players to run in when the ball's midway through the penalty area. Shoot first time and take a chance. Nine times out of ten you'll miss, unless you pass inside the area VERY quickly. To do this, face the required player and press 1. After passing (if you manage to do so), shoot. This is the only chance you get.
When shooting, go for hard, high shots. Weak shots give the keeper more time to react. It's difficult to save penalties, but against some of the weaker teams, three or four shots out of five go in exactly the same place. For high shots, press Left, Right or Up and button 1 to activate. For low shots, Down/Left or Down/Right and 1.
- Don't try and dribble the ball from defence, clear it! This reduces the chances of the opposition tackling and scoring.
- If you find yourself being left behind by the opposition, hold button 2 to activate 'sprint mode'. Release button 2 just before you tackle.
- When defending a corner, try moving your nearest man to the corner, arc away, forward and press 1 to try and head the ball.
- Don't expect useless shots to go in. As in the real game, only good shots go in the back of the net!
- If you lose to the Faroe Islands, don't chuck your Master System out the window! You're just useless, that's all!
- Formation: The 4-3-3 formation's best as you have ample defence and ideal midfield striker formation. If you find your team under heavy pressure go for the 5-3-2 formation. Revert to the 4-3-3 as soon as possible.
- Referees: The strictest ref is Michlek, the slackest is Hemming. Neither referee is much cop. The best is probably Mangum, as he plays advantages but gives free kicks.
- Game Length: The best length is three minutes in each half. As long as you score first, it gives the opposition less time to come back. For a big win (hopefully), go for five minutes each half. Eight and ten minutes soon get monotonous.
In addition to these the following cheats from GameFAQs users can be used if all else fails:
- Automatic win glitch: In Tournament mode, if the game is still 0-0 at half-time, quit and it will count as a win for you - contribuited by snowblind. Having tested this I have found that it isn't true. Instead you can quit the game at half-time and whatever the result is at the time then that is the final result. So in the event of a 0-0 in the semi-final or final the game would end 0-0. Presumably snowblind got lucky in that his team won the penalties whilst mine didn't.
- Easy goals: Score an own goal and it will be counted against your opponent - contributed by Drakan. This is easier said than done.
- If you are a beginner to the game it is worth taking to the practice mode first because the controls are quite difficult to get to grips with.
- You have to time your shots, change of direction etc. for when you are next to the ball, not when it is tapped quite far in front of you as you dribble. And that's the game.